This Diploma course is designed to provide a thorough understanding of the practice and procedure of Islamic Banking & Finance and the role of Arbitration within it. The course is being launched in September 2015 and will be an internationally recognised course, likely to attract candidates from a number of jurisdictions, including Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Middle East, the Americas, Europe and the UK. The Certificate course is being conducted jointly with INCEIF – The Global University of Islamic Finance. The diploma will be awarded by CIArb.
What are the learning outcomes?
On successful completion of this Diploma course candidates will be able to:
- Identify and explain in depth all the key elements of the Islamic Banking & Finance arbitration process;
- Evaluate issues and apply the principles applicable to Islamic Banking & Finance appropriately;
- Demonstrate practical skill in carrying out the tasks required in preparing for and progressing an Islamic Banking & Finance International Arbitration;
- Demonstrate skill in engaging in an International Arbitration, communicating effectively with the parties, applying the appropriate arbitration rules and adopting appropriate procedures.
How is the course delivered?
The course is delivered over nine intensive days, with a combination of lectures, tutorials and discussion workshops dealing with Islamic Banking & Finance arbitration law, practice and procedure. The course is being conducted at the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration, Bangunan Sulaiman, Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin, 50000 Kuala Lumpur.
What is covered in the syllabus of the Diploma?
- Shariah-Foundations for Islamic Banking & Finance for Arbitrators;
- The Islamic financial system and its various components with emphasis on Islamic Banking & Finance;
- Financial infrastructure of Islamic Banking & Finance in terms of its regulatory, legal and Shariah frameworks;
- Islamic Banking & Finance products including deposit, financing and investment operations.
- Legal Documentation for Islamic Banking & Finance products for Arbitrators;
- International Arbitration as distinguished from other forms of dispute resolution;
- Privacy and confidentiality;
- The Role of state courts in support of the arbitral process;
- Arbitration agreements;
- The legal framework: the importance of the seat, the New York Convention, procedural laws/rules, substantive laws/norms and the Rome Regulation;
- Types of Arbitration:ad-hoc,institutional,documents only,time limited; + Commencement of the Arbitration, terms of reference;
- The Arbitrator’s terms and conditions of appointment;
- Obligations of the tribunal, responsibilities and obligations of the parties; + The Arbitrator’s jurisdiction and powers;
- Challenges to jurisdiction, conflicts of interest;
- Managing the Arbitration process:communications,preliminary meeting, interlocutory matters, dealing with factual and opinion evidence and disclosure of documents;
- Arbitral awards and essentials for an enforceable award;
- Costs, offers and interest; alternative approaches in different jurisdictions;
Details of Courses
Date: 5 – 13 September 2015
Venue: Bangunan Sulaiman, KLRCA
£4,500 / MYR25,000
Early Bird Rate : £4,000 / MYR22,000 (Early bird rate ends 15 June 2015)
Please complete the registration form as below and send it to ANGIE PAPA by 31 August 2015 via:
Fax: +44 (0)20 7404 4023 Email: [email protected] Courier: CIArb, 12 Bloomsbury Square, London, WC1A 2LP